*** NEW *** Nautical Calculator for Windows *** Free *** Download Now!
Practical Sailor gives a thumbs up to our BAD BOY Xtreme
Read it here!
What is Wi-Fi? What Can I Do With It?
Wi-Fi is a method that
uses wireless technology
to connect a computer to
This eliminates the need to
physically plug in to an ethernet port.
Today, there are many access points, commonly called hotspots, available
throughout the world and more are being added daily. Many provide free
service. With a Wi-Fi connection, not only can you stay in touch with
family and friends, you can:
• Get weather, gribs, forecasts
• Answer email
• Keep up on local and world news
• Call buddies on skype
• Upload pictures
• Review investments
• Download videos, TV, movies
• Post your latest blog
• See what's viral right now on youtube
• Tracking parts and items ordered
• Do banking, verify transactions
• Catch up with work at the office
• Reserve cars, restaurants, flights
• Entertain the kids and yourself
The internet is now mainstream. Every product and service anywhere in the world can be found on it. And Wi-Fi is the tool for wireless access to the web.
Why Can't I Get A Reliable Connection?
Wi-Fi is a two way system. Each
end must both send and receive
the signal equally. Think
of it as two people, a substantial distance apart, throwing a ball to
each other. Person A has to be strong enough
to throw the ball to person B.
Person B also has to be strong
enough to throw the ball back to
person A. If either Person A
or B cannot throw the ball that
distance, they will not have much
of a throwing game.
Access points have an advantage over laptops because they have higher output power and their antennas are usually up high. They therefore have the ability to send a signal further than most laptops can. With the addition of a high gain antenna and Wi-Fi device, a laptop's range will be dramatically increased, thus matching that of the access point and leveling the playing field.
The location of the antenna is important too. Wood, water and metal all interfere with Wi-Fi by absorbing, refracting and reflecting it. Being in a steel boat down below near the waterline tied to a wood dock will likely not get a connection. Having the antenna up higher will.
How Does BAD BOY Solve This?
1) High power -
36dbm (4W) EIRP. The typical laptop puts out
a paltry 35-50mW of power.
Do the math. That's a significant increase!
2) Superior antenna - BAD BOY uses a high gain antenna to focus the signal to get to the access point and not wasting it by sending it in useless directions.
3) Higher antenna location - the typical laptop is down below deck. Wood, water and metal absorb, refract and reflect Wi-Fi signals. Getting the antenna higher up and away from these interferences will provide a cleaner, clearer signal. The BAD BOY antenna can be mounted up to 300' (90m) away - sticking it on top of your mast is now possible.
4) No antenna cable loss - BAD BOY attaches directly to the antenna so all the power gets used where it should. And that's going out the antenna! Receiving is improved as well since there's no loss there either.
5) Purpose build devices - BAD BOY is small with no wasted space. They're a rugged, all weather, all temperature, high power Wi-Fi device.